Skip to main content

This is the perfect season for my faith to be tested by God.

I was emailing a friend this morning updating him on my job search.  After I gave him an update, I wrote this line, “This is the perfect season for my faith to be tested by God.”  I stopped and pondered what I had just written and it shocked me a bit.  First, I asked myself, is it theologically correct?  Second, I was taken back that if I recognize that this is the perfect season, will I live up to the challenge?

My Hebrew professor, John Sailhamer, has a fairly recent book out called, “The Meaning of the Pentateuch: Revelation, Composition and Interpretation”.  I have just started it but his 600+ pages are built on the foundation of understanding the big idea of the Pentateuch, which he says is “the importance of living by faith” (p. 22).  A common theme (if not the over-arching theme) found throughout both the Old and New Testaments.  I have also been listening to lots of Piper and the theme has been joyous/happy/content/satisfied in God.  As Piper always says, "God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him."
 
John 6:35 says, “Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger; and whoever believes in my shall never thirst.’” The all satisfying God calls me (us) to believe, to have faith that He will satisfy.  You will never hunger, you will never thirst!  Those are incredible promises to the one who comes to the Bread of Life and believes...especially during a time when everything points to a time of great hunger and thirst. 

How will I spend this season?  Moping, complaining, worrying?  Or will I rest in hands of the Most High God who loves me (Ps. 57:2), promises that things are working for my good (Rom. 8:28), promises to clothe me, feed me, provide shelter (Matt. 6:33), tells me not to be anxious about anything (Phil. 4:6-7).

It is an easy thing to be in God’s corner when life is going good, it is another matter entirely to be satisfied in God when you are without work, when you only have enough money to last a few more weeks and when you have no signs of relief.  Will I trust God’s Word or will I let the circumstances around me dictate my attitude toward God?  I desperately want to trust God through this season of my life.  I want to be like Job when after all is said and done (before God restores his fortune) he says “I have heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you.” Job 42:5 At the very toughest time in my life (which I think is now), I want to be so satisfied in God that He gets all the glory and that I would be able to help others that are yet to go through what I am experiencing...or about to experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired by Ted Williams

Spiritual Influencers

According to the Nashville Film Institute’s website ( www.nfi.edu ) top influencers can earn anywhere from $40,000 a year with a modest following to celebrity influences that can earn over a million dollars per post .  They yield a persuasive power over their followers to redirect focus and entice the follower to buy or believe in whatever they are promoting.  Most of us have some realm of influence.  It may be family, friends, co-workers, social media, church, sports, online, etc.  As we emerge from the COVID Cocoon, we need to be “spiritual influencers”.  Imagine how many of us have suffered loss during COVID.  Do you know how many people are battling depression?  How many are struggling to pay their sky-rocketing rent?  There is real pain, real suffering and a serious lack of HOPE all around.  People are desperate for hope, help and genuine love.  They are ready to buy into anything that an influencer will peddle.  Envision a hos...

Hebrew of Hebrews

My journey this week has led me to the book of Hebrews.  Quick, tell me a few key points about Hebrews?  Having trouble?  Maybe you said "faith", chapter 11 is famous for the Heroes of Faith and we get two very familiar verses, "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."  (Here it is in the Message: "The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It’s our handle on what we can’t see.")  The other is verse 6, "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him."  Clearly, faith is a key point of Hebrews.   I think I can safely say that "faith" is the biggest part of my journey right now.  Not that I have mastered it, but that my journey demands it, whether I heed or not.  It is like God saying to Abraham, ...