Skip to main content

Why didn't I think of that?

I have a post-it on my desk which simply says, “Etc., Etc.”.   That little post-it has helped me numerous times to be victorious over some of the most difficult times, people and temptations. It is so simple you will be asking yourself, “Why didn’t I think of that?” For example:

  • When I get a phone call from a nasty, angry, bitter person, "Etc., Etc." makes me not fear answering the next phone call.
  • That unexpected dilemma that throws my thought life into chaos.
  • A silly joke about my appearance may be all it takes to break the fantastic day I was having.
  • That gorgeous woman who not only distracts but breaks my attitude of worship.
  • Traffic...need I say more? Bills, kids, homework, pimples, broken a/c, flat tire, etc., etc.

Do you  know how much time we waste thinking about things that never happen?  Etc., Etc. can help!

  • Internet!  A huge distraction that cripples all of us from time to time.  Not to mention a sleezy or provocative ad/picture that takes your thought life into a downward spiral.

The list is virtually endless.  Now let me share with you the secret of "Etc., Etc." that can transform these events to something that draws you closer to God instead of separating you.

2 Cor. 10:4-6 (particularly verse 5)

“For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.  We destroy arguments and every loft opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.”

Did you see it?  Etc., Etc. ...take Every Thought Captive to obey Christ.

Etc = Every Thought Captive.  Take every thought captive when you get that phone call, when you are stuck in traffic, when that unexpected bill comes, when co-workers say something against you, when you are surfing the internet, when that gorgeous man or woman takes notice of you - take every thought captive (Etc., Etc.).

At that split second when I am faced with a choice to obey or disobey I literally say to myself, "take every thought captive" and it changes my focus from self and from distraction to God and bringing Him glory instead of satisfying self.  I can do what I was created to do (i.e. give God glory) or I can defy my Creator and choose my own will, exchanging the glory of the immortal God for my own selfish desires.

I have found that if I remind myself to “take Every Thought Captive” at that split second, I do not give into temptation nearly as much as I would have.  It has made a world of difference in my life.  Literally walking into a store the other day I was faced with a big temptation and I just said to myself, “take every thought captive” and my mind was immediately transported to giving God glory, breaking into praise and worship.

Give "Etc., Etc." a try, you might be amazed at the results.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired by Ted Williams

Spiritual Influencers

According to the Nashville Film Institute’s website ( www.nfi.edu ) top influencers can earn anywhere from $40,000 a year with a modest following to celebrity influences that can earn over a million dollars per post .  They yield a persuasive power over their followers to redirect focus and entice the follower to buy or believe in whatever they are promoting.  Most of us have some realm of influence.  It may be family, friends, co-workers, social media, church, sports, online, etc.  As we emerge from the COVID Cocoon, we need to be “spiritual influencers”.  Imagine how many of us have suffered loss during COVID.  Do you know how many people are battling depression?  How many are struggling to pay their sky-rocketing rent?  There is real pain, real suffering and a serious lack of HOPE all around.  People are desperate for hope, help and genuine love.  They are ready to buy into anything that an influencer will peddle.  Envision a hos...

Hebrew of Hebrews

My journey this week has led me to the book of Hebrews.  Quick, tell me a few key points about Hebrews?  Having trouble?  Maybe you said "faith", chapter 11 is famous for the Heroes of Faith and we get two very familiar verses, "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."  (Here it is in the Message: "The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It’s our handle on what we can’t see.")  The other is verse 6, "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him."  Clearly, faith is a key point of Hebrews.   I think I can safely say that "faith" is the biggest part of my journey right now.  Not that I have mastered it, but that my journey demands it, whether I heed or not.  It is like God saying to Abraham, ...