Skip to main content

Gone in Sixty Seconds

I am a number, a growing statistic.  One year ago this month I was laid off work like so many others in North America.  My vocation?  Pastor.  This fact is made even stranger in that I gave up a thriving secular career to follow God’s leading into a vocation ministry.  Things become even more surreal with the knowledge that I raised my own support for the first three years of ministry so I worked for the church for free.  Therefore, on this anniversary month, it seemed like a good day to reflect on the past year. 

Today, the house is strangely and wonderfully quiet.  The morning begins with a hunger to dive into His Word.  I open the Holy Bible to the book of Job . . . His timing is perfect.  It is one of my favorite books of the Bible and yet this morning chapter one seems so fresh, vibrant and new.  In lieu of the last twelve months, chapter one has new meaning, I can relate to Job like never before.

Read Job 1
Job is blameless, upright, fearing God and turning away from evil (1:1, 8; 2:3).  He loves his children and consecrates them in case they have cursed God in their hearts.  He acts as priest for his family offering sacrifices to God. 

Timing is everything
Job receives the news of his demise in a way that is intentionally delivered by Satan to provoke Job to sin.  The first messenger might leave Job wondering but the second one leaves no room for doubt.  The “fire of God from heaven” consumes 7,000 sheep and all the servants (save one).  The third messenger completes the financial bankruptcy of Job and the fourth just adds fuel to a fire of brokenness.  By all appearances, God has turned on Job and made him his enemy.  Everyone will ask, “why?”  Satan doesn’t want to just hurt Job, he wants to devastate him to the point of maximum suffering to tempt Job to curse God. 

Job prepares to worship
I have read verses 20-22 hundreds of times and I never thought about the time required for Job to shave his head.  I always pictured Job falling to his knees and worshiping but never thought about the time it would take to prepare for worship.  They didn’t have modern instruments to shave, because men rarely did.  Secondly, the hair of a Middle-Eastern man is not like a blond hair blue eyed man.  It will require some effort and time to shave his head.  After shaving his head and tearing his clothes he probably goes to the place where he normally worships. 


Prostrate and Praying
Job acknowledges that everything he has/had is a gift from God.  Job is the steward of these gifts but they do not belong to him.  He is grateful for the time the Owner has allowed him to use these gifts but he does not curse God for removing them from his life.

Clinging to those precious gifts of God is one of the hardest temptations in life.  Life is good when we have them, we love God and proclaim His praises.  But when those gifts evaporate, that’s when our faith will be tested.  Are you ready?  Are you holding those gifts too tightly?  Can you honestly pray verse 21 to God?  The book of Job is a wonderful book to prepare you for just such a time.  Start today by reading and meditating on chapter 1.  Spend the rest of the month studying and applying Job to your life.

Quotes:
"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."

"Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open."

— Corrie Ten Boom   

Resource:
Suffering and the Sovereignty of God,  by John Piper (www.desiringgod.org)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Could Turn Back Time for 13 Seconds

     In the Star Trek parody Galaxy Quest , they had a device called the Omega-13 that could turn back time for 13 seconds.  What good is 13 seconds you ask?  It’s enough time to change one mistake.  As you might guess, they had a chance to use it and redeem a life altering oversight.          I often wish that my future self could come back and talk to my present self.   Imagine the mistakes I could avoid.   How often do we say to ourselves, “I wish I hadn’t done that” or “I wish I had done…”   Lately I have been trying to work out in the mornings.   It sounds great the night before, but when that alarm goes off, I only have about 3 seconds to thrust my feet over the side of the bed before I tell Alexa to wake me up in an hour.        Since the Omega-13 device only lives in Hollywood, it seems to me I need to make the right decisions at the right time.  Here’s a couple of things that I have found helpful. Have a plan a.      I know that if I don’t sit up on the edge of bed when

Spiritual Influencers

According to the Nashville Film Institute’s website ( www.nfi.edu ) top influencers can earn anywhere from $40,000 a year with a modest following to celebrity influences that can earn over a million dollars per post .  They yield a persuasive power over their followers to redirect focus and entice the follower to buy or believe in whatever they are promoting.  Most of us have some realm of influence.  It may be family, friends, co-workers, social media, church, sports, online, etc.  As we emerge from the COVID Cocoon, we need to be “spiritual influencers”.  Imagine how many of us have suffered loss during COVID.  Do you know how many people are battling depression?  How many are struggling to pay their sky-rocketing rent?  There is real pain, real suffering and a serious lack of HOPE all around.  People are desperate for hope, help and genuine love.  They are ready to buy into anything that an influencer will peddle.  Envision a host of people intentional about spiritual influencing? 

We Should All Smile Like That

  I just finished watching a YouTube video featuring an aged Peter Frampton and Eric Clapton.  Frampton and Clapton were playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".  I couldn't get over the joy on Frampton's face as he was playing.  He loved what he was doing.  He loved playing with Eric Clapton.  He loved making the audience "gently weep".  And he loved everything about it. He was taking in every second and appreciating for what it was, a once in a lifetime moment to play with Eric Clapton.  It was a perfect blending and appreciation for each other and their impact to the world of music.  I didn't sense any egos, just radiant joy.  It was impossible to not smile as you watched Peter play, even Clapton smiled (a rare moment).  Peter's joy was infectious.  As I watched his contagious joy doing what he loves, I wondered if I still exude joy for my passions? What are you passionate about?  What brings you joy?  Pursue those things with all your heart, soul