Skip to main content

My Wife has Cancer

We were shocked to hear the phone ring at 7:35 am.  Lori got up to answer the phone and read the caller i.d., it was her doctor’s office.  She answer the phone and her face grew stern, vexed, serious.  As she listens intently, she holds up her hand forming a letter, “C”...Lori has cancer.

The issue of God’s sovereignty is something that has been near and dear to my heart for the last 6 years.  Prior to sovereignty my multi-year studies focused on God’s will.  The two are inexorably linked.  Therefore, when Lori told me she had cancer, in my heart, I acknowledged that Jesus is in control and this is for His glory.  It has been no accident that my quiet times have been in Genesis and I have been listening to John Piper’s eight-year study on Romans. 

Abraham is justified by faith, faith alone and it is credited to him as righteousness.  The wonder of that statement should take your breath away.  Joseph, when speaking to his brothers says, “it was not you who sent me here but God” (Gen. 45:8).  Warren Weirsbe’s book, “Walking with the Giants” reminds us of hero’s of the faith that walked humbly before God and God did great things through them.  Little men that served an enormous God, walking by faith and trusting Him for everything.  They wanted nothing for themselves but to glorify God and fulfill His calling on their lives - whatever that may be.

I suppose I could complain about a lot.  Life has not turned out as I expected. I was out of work for a year and my seminary education seems to be wasted.   My wife has cancer, we are living in yet again, another “ghetto”.  I seem to be unable to provide for my children as I long to do.   But who should I blame?  God, for not acting as I would have wanted?  May it never be!  God, in His perfect sovereignty has brought me to the perfect place for the perfect time.  Imagine Joseph being betrayed by his brothers, sold into slavery, wrongly accused of rape, then forgotten in prison.

It is so easy to get distracted by bad news and lose that God consciousness.  Today, I am reminded that my knees aren’t just funny things to play with.  God gave me knee caps to hit the dirt and bow before my Maker, my Saviour, my Lord and my God.  I am thankful that my wife’s prognosis is excellent and the cancer wasn’t nearly as serious as it could be.  I am thankful that I have a roof over my head and a job to put food on the table.  I know that God has the perfect plan for me to bring Him the maximum glory if I will only take my eyes of the man in the mirror.  As Piper always says, “God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him”. 

I love you Lord, thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Could Turn Back Time for 13 Seconds

     In the Star Trek parody Galaxy Quest , they had a device called the Omega-13 that could turn back time for 13 seconds.  What good is 13 seconds you ask?  It’s enough time to change one mistake.  As you might guess, they had a chance to use it and redeem a life altering oversight.          I often wish that my future self could come back and talk to my present self.   Imagine the mistakes I could avoid.   How often do we say to ourselves, “I wish I hadn’t done that” or “I wish I had done…”   Lately I have been trying to work out in the mornings.   It sounds great the night before, but when that alarm goes off, I only have about 3 seconds to thrust my feet over the side of the bed before I tell Alexa to wake me up in an hour.        Since the Omega-13 device only lives in Hollywood, it seems to me I need to make the right decisions at the right time.  Here’s a couple of things that I have found helpful. Have a plan a.      I know that if I don’t sit up on the edge of bed when

Spiritual Influencers

According to the Nashville Film Institute’s website ( www.nfi.edu ) top influencers can earn anywhere from $40,000 a year with a modest following to celebrity influences that can earn over a million dollars per post .  They yield a persuasive power over their followers to redirect focus and entice the follower to buy or believe in whatever they are promoting.  Most of us have some realm of influence.  It may be family, friends, co-workers, social media, church, sports, online, etc.  As we emerge from the COVID Cocoon, we need to be “spiritual influencers”.  Imagine how many of us have suffered loss during COVID.  Do you know how many people are battling depression?  How many are struggling to pay their sky-rocketing rent?  There is real pain, real suffering and a serious lack of HOPE all around.  People are desperate for hope, help and genuine love.  They are ready to buy into anything that an influencer will peddle.  Envision a host of people intentional about spiritual influencing? 

We Should All Smile Like That

  I just finished watching a YouTube video featuring an aged Peter Frampton and Eric Clapton.  Frampton and Clapton were playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".  I couldn't get over the joy on Frampton's face as he was playing.  He loved what he was doing.  He loved playing with Eric Clapton.  He loved making the audience "gently weep".  And he loved everything about it. He was taking in every second and appreciating for what it was, a once in a lifetime moment to play with Eric Clapton.  It was a perfect blending and appreciation for each other and their impact to the world of music.  I didn't sense any egos, just radiant joy.  It was impossible to not smile as you watched Peter play, even Clapton smiled (a rare moment).  Peter's joy was infectious.  As I watched his contagious joy doing what he loves, I wondered if I still exude joy for my passions? What are you passionate about?  What brings you joy?  Pursue those things with all your heart, soul