Skip to main content

Too Bad to Forgive


It’s a feeling most of us have had.  We have done something so awful, hurtful, or unthinkable that forgiveness is not a consideration.  We beat ourselves up, replaying the events in our head thinking “if only” I had walked this way, or listened to this friend or been at a different place that night.  For some, it was a one time event.  For others, it was years of satisfying lust, greed, and sinful desires.  We wrestle with what we did or didn’t do playing it over and over in our minds.  Maybe it even stems from anger toward God for not doing what you expected him to do or allowing some tragedy to devastate your life.

Like most sin, it doesn’t happen over night, it gradually slips into our lifestyle and permeates our thoughts, ever so slightly changing us, weakening our defenses.  Like an affair, it has been building for weeks, months or years...it didn’t happen in a day.  Let’s face a harsh reality, those things we did can’t be undone.  There are consequences to our actions.  We wake up in the morning regretting the decisions we made only hours before.  We feel as though forgiveness is impossible.

If you allow me, I would like to give you hope.  I wish to give you freedom from the daily war that rages in your conscience.  Let me share an amazing story with you, one that I dare say most people haven’t heard of or don’t remember.  I can’t ever remember it being preached from a pulpit, but it hit me like a lightning bolt yesterday.  It starts with a man by the name of Omri, he was the commander of the army of Israel.  After a murderous coup by another general, Omri is made king of Israel.  (Now if you don’t know about the northern kingdom of Israel after King David and King Solomon, let’s just say the kings devoted themselves to doing great evil.  As much as King David sought after pleasing God, these kings sought equally as hard to lead people away from God.  In doing so, they led the nation of Israel to commit atrocities against Yahweh.)  King Omri reigns twelve years and when he dies his son Ahab reigns in his place.  Now Ahab’s father figure was this:

“Omri did what was evil in the sight of the Lord, and did more evil than all who were before him.”
(1 Kings 16:25)

Therefore, it comes as no surprise that when Ahab takes the throne, he “did more to provoke the Lord, the God of Israel, to anger than all the kings of Israel who were before him.” (16:33) In fact, it says “There was none who sold himself to do what was evil in the sight of the Lord like Ahab, whom Jezebel his wife incited.” (21:25)

To bad to forgive?  Look what happens.  The great prophet Elijah proclaims a word from God condemning Ahab for murder and his great sins leading a nation to serve other gods.  He prophesies the destruction of Ahab’s lineage and the disgraceful death’s they will suffer.

When Ahab heard those words, he tore his clothes and put sackcloth on his flesh and fasted and lay in sackcloth and went about dejectedly.” (21:27)

That simply means that Ahab humbled himself and was sorry for his sins.  As a result of Ahab’s penitent heart, God delays the judgement in Ahab’s lifetime.  Here’s a man who has sold himself to evil.  He has invented more ways to do evil and lead a country astray than any person before him.  Ahab is the epitome of an despicable leader and yet when God sees TRUE REPENTANCE and sincere humility he is quick to forgive.  HOW MUCH MORE can we expect from God when we humble ourselves and repent of our sins?  We are never to bad to forgive, for we have a God of such unending mercy and grace who loves us and desires a relationship with us.

Still hanging on to those sins?  Now is the time to drop to your knees and show God a true repentant heart.  Let go of that sinful lifestyle and let the healing process begin.

[Read the full story in 1 Kings 21.]

Popular posts from this blog

If I Could Turn Back Time for 13 Seconds

     In the Star Trek parody Galaxy Quest , they had a device called the Omega-13 that could turn back time for 13 seconds.  What good is 13 seconds you ask?  It’s enough time to change one mistake.  As you might guess, they had a chance to use it and redeem a life altering oversight.          I often wish that my future self could come back and talk to my present self.   Imagine the mistakes I could avoid.   How often do we say to ourselves, “I wish I hadn’t done that” or “I wish I had done…”   Lately I have been trying to work out in the mornings.   It sounds great the night before, but when that alarm goes off, I only have about 3 seconds to thrust my feet over the side of the bed before I tell Alexa to wake me up in an hour.        Since the Omega-13 device only lives in Hollywood, it seems to me I need to make the right decisions at the right time.  Here’s a couple of things that I have found helpful. Have a plan a.      I know that if I don’t sit up on the edge of bed when

Spiritual Influencers

According to the Nashville Film Institute’s website ( www.nfi.edu ) top influencers can earn anywhere from $40,000 a year with a modest following to celebrity influences that can earn over a million dollars per post .  They yield a persuasive power over their followers to redirect focus and entice the follower to buy or believe in whatever they are promoting.  Most of us have some realm of influence.  It may be family, friends, co-workers, social media, church, sports, online, etc.  As we emerge from the COVID Cocoon, we need to be “spiritual influencers”.  Imagine how many of us have suffered loss during COVID.  Do you know how many people are battling depression?  How many are struggling to pay their sky-rocketing rent?  There is real pain, real suffering and a serious lack of HOPE all around.  People are desperate for hope, help and genuine love.  They are ready to buy into anything that an influencer will peddle.  Envision a host of people intentional about spiritual influencing? 

We Should All Smile Like That

  I just finished watching a YouTube video featuring an aged Peter Frampton and Eric Clapton.  Frampton and Clapton were playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".  I couldn't get over the joy on Frampton's face as he was playing.  He loved what he was doing.  He loved playing with Eric Clapton.  He loved making the audience "gently weep".  And he loved everything about it. He was taking in every second and appreciating for what it was, a once in a lifetime moment to play with Eric Clapton.  It was a perfect blending and appreciation for each other and their impact to the world of music.  I didn't sense any egos, just radiant joy.  It was impossible to not smile as you watched Peter play, even Clapton smiled (a rare moment).  Peter's joy was infectious.  As I watched his contagious joy doing what he loves, I wondered if I still exude joy for my passions? What are you passionate about?  What brings you joy?  Pursue those things with all your heart, soul